Monday, April 27, 2009

Beef Stew



There are a lot of things I like to add to beef stew that I did not, simply because I did not have them on hand. The weather turned cold again today. I am having a difficult time believing that May will begin on Friday, when it feels like it is snowing on me.

So I got home from practice early tonight to find The Girl's soccer game cancelled (thank Heavens) and everyone hungry. I found a package of frozen stew meat in the freezer and went to work.

Add 1 pound of stew meat to 3 cups of water, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. The meat I had came directly from the freezer, since I wasn't planning on even being home, let alone cook supper.

I cooked this for about 45 minutes, until the beef wasn't pink anymore. And I broke up the frozen chunks.
Add in your choice of veggies. I didn't have any onion, although I swear I bought one on my last trip to the grocery store. I also like cabbage in my stew, but again, didn't have any. So I added in carrots (about 1 cup) and potatoes (4 medium gold). Some people add celery to their dishes. Not me.
Let the carrots and potatoes cook for about 20 minutes and then add in 1 can of diced tomatoes.
Even though the cooking time for this is way more than I normally spend on a week night, beef stew was the perfect supper for a cold spring evening.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Beef Stew
1 lb Stew Meat
3 Cups Water
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
4 Medium Potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 Cup Carrots, sliced
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
Add water, beef and seasonings to a large kettle. Cook on medium heat until beef is no longer pink, about 45 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add more water if necessary.

No comments: