Sunday, May 29, 2011

Slow Cooked Italian Chicken

Before our house burned, I had a wonderful cookbook. Actually, I had many, but this one was one of the best slow cooker books I had ever used. To be honest, I am not sure if it was Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens. Maybe it was neither.

Anyway, there was a recipe in there that changed my life forever. It used Italian diced tomatoes. I have never been a fan of cooked tomatoes. They are too mushy for me, so even trying these was a big step. But the picture looked sooooo good. Did you hear that cookbook people? Put pictures next to your recipes!

I have been trying to recreate that recipe for awhile now, with no success. I don't remember the exact name (it was long) or all the ingredients. I miss that supper.

This is not it.

But, it is pretty good.

Add 4 chicken breasts, 1 can of Italian diced tomatoes and 1 can whole kernal corn to your slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Mine took about 6 1/2 hours. That's it. Don't you LOVE your slow cooker?
Actually, I added in another step. I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken it up. Cook on low...
...for about the time it takes you to boil some of your favorite pasta. I didn't measure how much, but probably about 2 cups.
Spoon over the pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
While not quite what I was going for, it was really good. The kids both had seconds. Jeff was not home, so I don't have a manly opinion available. I think you could substitute beef or pork in there and it would be just as delicious.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Slow Cooked Italian Chicken
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
1 can whole kernel corn
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups cooked pasta

Add chicken, tomatoes and corn to slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in cornstarch and cook additional 20 minutes. Serve over pasta.

No comments: