Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pineapple and Strawberry Creme

If you are like the rest of the United States (with the possible exception of Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam), you have been under snow. Lots and lots of snow. And you are probably ready for spring to get here. Well, believe it or not, it is just around the corner. I know this because we started track practice yesterday. This completely snuck up on me. I still cannot believe it is the first of March already.

I also know this because our grocery store now has pineapples in stock. I love fresh pineapple. Some people are intimidated by pineapple. It's a bit of a chore to chop up. I never can get all the skin (is it skin??) off. And then you have to cut around the core, but it is one of the few things I really think is worth the effort, unlike, for instance, lobster.

I didn't think ahead enough to document me chopping up the pineapple or strawberries. And truth be told, I don't really think of this as a recipe. It is just something I throw together. I have had the creme part stuck in my head for so long that I'm not even sure where I got it.

But as The Girl pointed out (after supper), it's Tuesday. We must try something.

Add 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese to 1 teaspoon sugar (or Splenda if you choose) along with 1 teaspoon vanilla. You can change up the flavors here by adding almond, rum, orange, peppermint, any flavoring you have on hand. You can also add in a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
Stir this up and you have dessert. You could just enjoy it at this point, but to REALLY go all out, add in some sliced strawberries and pineapple chunks.
This just screams "spring" to me. You can justify seconds (and thirds) on this because it is extremely healthy. And if you use the Splenda, amazingly doesn't even contain sugar. Trust me, you will not believe your taste buds. Not only that, but it takes about 90 seconds to mix it all up.

Maybe I should put it on a recipe card...

Click here for Printable Recipe

Pineapple and Strawberry Creme
1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon sugar
Sliced strawberries
Pineapple chunks

Mix it all together. Enjoy.

No comments: