Sunday, August 22, 2010

Watermelon Sorbet


The other day, I came home from the grocery store with the biggest watermelon I have ever seen. I nearly had to abandon The Boy to get it in the car. Thinking that not even this family can eat that much watermelon, I went about searching for watermelon recipes.

Turns out there are an awful lot of them. I have never really used watermelon for anything but eating, so this opens up a whole new world for me.

This recipe comes from Rachael Ray. I hadn't been over to her site for quite some time, and I ended up spending way too much time surfing over there.

You need some watermelon puree. Cut the watermelon into cubes and put it into a blender. Hit puree. (Haha, Goonies reference!)
Zest one lime. This is the hardest part of the whole thing. It's kind of like eating lobster. Lots of work and not much to show for it.
Add one cup of your puree to the lime zest and a half a cup of sugar. Simmer this for a few minutes so the sugar gets good and dissolved.
Add three more cups of puree and a pinch of salt. Then whisk in a can of sweetened condensed milk.
Pour this into your ice cream freezer.
Follow your freezer's directions.
When that gets done, you are left with this...
I loved this. It is so refreshing and the lime comes through a lot more than I thought it would. The one teaspoon is all you need. The kids didn't like this as much as I did, but I think it was more because of the lime. Next time I am going to leave that out and see if they like that better.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Watermelon Sorbet
6 Cups chopped up seedless watermelon
1/4 Cup sugar
Grated peel of 1 lime
Pinch salt
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
Using a blender, puree the watermelon; you will need 4 cups watermelon puree.
In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup watermelon puree, the sugar and lime peel to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves; season with the salt. Pour in the remaining 3 cups watermelon puree, then whisk in the milk until incorporated. Pour the watermelon mixture into your ice cream freezer and follow it's instructions.

No comments: