Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kansas Baked Potatoes




So my dear mother in law took her entire family to San Antonio this spring. The main purpose behind this trip was to celebrate her retirement by glimpsing George Strait at his annual roping festival. Of course, when I take a vacation to the southern part of the country, the weather turns dismal. Something like 50 degrees and rainy. Everyone under the age of eleven wanted to leave the roping (even our Roper) after about an hour. So I gathered them all up to go back to the motel to go swimming.

But not before spotting the baked potatoes being offered at the concession stand. You thought I was going to say George Strait, didn't you! (Yeah, no such luck for me) I could not get them out of my head. McDonald's drive through just didn't quite satisfy me after that. Texas does know how to do some things :)

So now that school is out, my mind has time to wander, it wandered back to the baked potatoes. So here goes the quest for the best baked potato I never got to try.

Mix a bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce with about 1/2 a cup of Italian dressing and a couple tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce. If need be, empty out all the miscellaneous leftover bottles in your fridge.

NOTE: One of my leftover bottles was called "Devil's Spit." In retrospect, I would have added a little bit less...I am still sweating from this one.
Whisk this together.
Sample, realize something is missing and add in 1/4 cup brown sugar.
Whisk again and pour this over a pound of sirloin steak. Pork or chicken would be wonderful, too. Put all of this into your crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours.

With about an hour before supper time, scrub your potatoes, wrap them in foil and stick them into the oven. 400 degrees will take about an hour.

NOTE: This is the perfect time to check to make sure you have actually turned on the crock pot. If, for some inexplicable reason, you have not turned it on, this is the time to transfer the above mixture into a baking pan.
Once everything is in the oven, actually cooking, now is a good time to stop the toddler from "hewping oo matke sooop, mom." with the Worchestershire sauce that you forgot to put away.
Do this before the DH comes in from his welding project and mistakes it for a horrible tomato slicing accident.

Slice up the steak and add it to the potato. I added sour cream to tone down the heat of my chosen barbeque sauce and topped it with some cheddar cheese.
This was yummy. You could add butter and sour cream along with a little cheese. I think chicken would be delicious and it would probably shred really easy.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Kansas Baked Potatoes
1 Bottle Barbeque Sauce
1/2 Cup Italian Dressing
2 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Pound Sirloin Steak
4 Baking Potatoes

Mix all sauces and brown sugar together. Pour over steak in crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
Cook potatoes in 400 oven for 1 hour.
Slice up the steak. Top potatoes with sauce and steak.

No comments: