Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Slow Cooked Lemon Chicken

So Jeff hates lemon and has a moral objection to chicken (it's a family farmer thing). But, being bound by the Try It Tuesday code of "you must try it, it is Tuesday" (it is unbelievable that my family will eat anything if it is Tuesday), I forged ahead with the Lemon Chicken.

Also because I am trying to go a week or two by only cooking with the stuff I already have in my kitchen. If you have never done this, I highly recommend it. Not only will you find boxes of groceries that you don't remember buying, but you will be amazed at how creative you can be.

I'm pretty sure this came from Taste of Home. But that is just judging from the format of the printout I have.

Coat the chicken breasts in spices and lightly brown in melted butter. Typically, I am not one to brown meat before putting it into the crock pot, but I am moving more and more toward that crucial step since I discovered that it really DOES help to seal in the juices. And for this recipe, it is especially important.
Add the chicken to a 4 quart slow cooker. To the browning pan, add in lemon juice water and garlic.
This will quickly come to a boil. Grab a whisk and make sure all those browned chicken leftover bits are picked up into this sauce.Pour it over the chicken and cook on high for about 3 hours.
Remove the chicken.
In a small measuring cup, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to about a cup of water. Blend this well and add to the leftover juices. Bring to a boil and you will have a thick lemon sauce to pour over the chicken.
This was yummy. I really thought that it wouldn't be enough lemon flavor, but it was perfect. Just the right amount of zing for me.

I served it over rice, which The Girl didn't really like. But that was okay since Jeff finished hers (insert evil laugh here). Next time, I think I will try it over noodles.

I also think I will try this as a marinade for grilling sometime.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Slow Cooked Lemon Chicken
3 chicken breast halves, skin removed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cube chicken bouillon granules
Hot cooked rice
Combine the oregano, seasoned salt and pepper; rub over chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in butter; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, lemon juice, garlic and bouillon to the skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat juices run clear.

No comments: