Friday, October 9, 2009

Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Pudding

When we were little, my sister would take a piece of pie and eat the filling. Left on her plate was a poor, sad, unloved little crust. Of course, she also wouldn't eat the Hershey's kiss off the peanut butter cookie. She's so weird.

This recipe reminded me of her. Not that she gets to enjoy it. Poor thing. Down in Texas. No fall. No pie.

Take 2 cups of your pumpkin puree (or 1 can solid pack pumpkin, really, you need to try to making your own, I promise, you will not be disappointed)
Add 1 can of evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup Bisquick.
This is where I got into trouble. I didn't have Bisquick. I never have Bisquick. It is just not something I ever think about buying. So, off to Google I went.

You can make a Bisquick substitute by combining 1 cup flour, 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon shortening. I had the shortening that is packaged just like a butter stick. Have you ever looked at these packages? It's a bit difficult to make out, but it warns you not to use shortening as a spread. Ew. Anyone else just full body shudder thinking about that?
Back to the ingredients. Mix these all together. This is more difficult than it sounds. I couldn't get the shortening to really mix very well. But, since I didn't have Bisquick, I forged ahead.
Add this into your pumpkin mixture.
Then beat 2 eggs
Add those to the pumpkin mixture along with 2 tablespoons melted butter, 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
Here's something to ponder. The pumpkin pie spice comes with a sprinkle top. Who sprinkles pumpkin pie spice? Definitely not me!
Let The Boy whisk it all together.
At this point, I realized that this recipe made A LOT of mix. A lot. So I poured half of the mix into a greased crock pot to make the pudding. If you look closely, you can see my pretend Bisquick mixture did not incorporate very well. I was a bit skeptical about this, but it ended up melting in as it cooked.
The other half of the pumpkin mixture went into a frozen pie shell (sorry Sis).
Again with the pretend Bisquick...
That was baked at 350 for about 45 minutes. If you think about it, add foil around the edges of the pie crust to keep it from getting overly brown. I did not think of this in time, hence the overly brown edges. Mmmm...can it get any better than this??
Why yes. Yes, it can.
The Boy was really excited about the pie he made.
Notice in the background, there, is the crock pot with the rest of the pumpkin mixture. That is cooking on low for about 5 hours.

When you lift the lid, you will see this...
If you look closely, you will notice that the pretend Bisquick did indeed melt away. Whew.

Add some whipped cream...
This was delicious. I ended up eating most of the pudding since everyone else had pie earlier in the day. So for a single pie or pudding, the recipe needs to be cut in half. This is definitely a keeper. And perfect for those who just don't care for crust on their pies.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Pudding
2 Cups Pumpkin Puree (or 1 can solid pack pumpkin)
1 Can Evaporated Milk
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Bisquick
2 Eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoons Butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 teaspoons Vanilla
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to a greased crock pot. Cover and cook 5-6 hours on low.

No comments: