Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sausage and Mushroom Pumpkin Soup

It's that time of year again. Pumpkin Time. I am content.

Did you know that in other parts of the world, pumpkins are seen as vegetables? Can you imagine a world where pumpkin pie is considered weird? Not me. But then I live in a world where pumpkin soup is considered strange.

Well, my world view has shifted. I have branched out into the realm of savory pumpkin.

Start out by browning a pound of your favorite sausage. I used mild pork sausage. Add in some chopped yellow onion, minced garlic and sliced mushrooms.
Saute this down until the mushrooms and onions are tender. Add in your pumpkin. Now, of course, you can use canned pumpkin, but I believe I have made my views on this known. I used 2 cups of pumpkin puree.
Mix this well and stir in chicken broth and a small can of tomato paste. Also add in a tablespoon of your favorite Italian seasoning. The only kind my grocery store had was McCormick's. This came in a bottle with a grinder just like pepper comes in. I highly recommend this kind. Let this simmer for about 25 minutes.
Add in a half cup each of water and heavy cream and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Serve this with some hot breadsticks.
Oh my. Oh my, my. I didn't make enough of this. My picky nephew was with us for supper again and he went back for thirds. This is definitely become one of my all-time favorites.

Even if you have never considered adding pumpkin to your supper line up, you MUST try this.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Sausage and Mushroom Pumpkin Soup
12 oz sausage
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup yellow onion, minced
½ cup heavy cream
15 oz can pumpkin
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ cup water
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brown the sausage, drain the fat, and then add the Italian seasoning, mushrooms, garlic, and onion. Sauté until tender.
Add the pumpkin and combine everything well.
Stir in the broth and tomato paste, and then simmer the soup for about 25 minutes.
Stir in the water and cream and simmer for 10 minutes more.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: