Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin Pastries


I love the world of Harry Potter. It's one of the few books I can read over and over again. Since the next to last movie is coming out next month, I figured I'd better re-read the series so I remember what was going on. On his first trip on the Hogwart's Express, Harry buys something called Pumpkin Pastries from the witch's snack cart. I never really gave it much thought until I came across this recipe from Jenny. I firmly believe that these are the snacks they serve on the train to Hogwarts.

Mix together pumpkin, eggs, cream, sugar and spices.
Use a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter to cut out your puff pastry. You could just use circles if you really wanted to, but aren't these cute? Then brush the shapes with melted butter. Yes, that is a regular paintbrush I got at the hardward store.
Sprinkle these with your favorite cinnamon/sugar ratio. Notice I put these on parchment paper. I am becoming a huge fan of parchment paper.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin mixture onto the pastry. Spread this out so it is close to the edge, but not too close, about a quarter of an inch away should be fine.
Bake these for about 25 minutes. Jenny also drizzled hers with some melted chocolate, but ours didn't last long enough to get to that point.
These are so good, I can't even begin to describe it. It's like pumpkin pie, only better, which for me, is really something. They are incredible right out of the oven. I didn't get the chance to try this, but I think they would be really good right out of the fridge, too.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Pumpkin Pastries
1 Cup canned pumpkin
1/4 Cup granulated sugar
1/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
4 sheets (2 boxes) of puff pastry, thawed
3 Tablespoons melted butter
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
Melted chocolate for drizzling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl mix the pumpkin, sugar, heavy cream, egg, cinnamon and nutmeg until creamy and well combined.
Place puff pastry onto a lightly floured countertop and cut out 4 pumpkins per sheet of pastry. Place pumpkin cut outs onto silpat or parchment lined baking sheets. Brush each pumpkin lightly with butter then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of pumpkin pie filling around center of pumpkins leaving 1/4 inch border around edges.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown on the edges and pumpkin pie is cooked through. Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to cooling rack. Serve room temperature or chilled. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired before serving.
16 pumpkin pie tarts

No comments: