Saturday, December 18, 2010

Butterscotch Pudding

This winter, I remembered my childhood in which pudding was made on a stove. Or maybe I just dreamed that, I don't know. But I've made it my mission to discover home made pudding. I am sooooo glad I did that.

What I have found is that pudding is really simple to make, even if it takes a bit longer than instant. And like so many other things, it is infinitely better than instant, plus, you can have some while it is still warm...mmmmmm....


On low heat, stirring constantly, (we don't want to burn the milk) bring the milk, cornstarch, salt and dark brown sugar to a boil. You could use light brown sugar here, but don't. The dark brown sugar gives a whole other dimension of flavor.
After the milk reaches boiling, cook for one minute. Add a quarter cup of the hot mixture to two egg yolks. Temper those yolks so they don't turn into scrambled eggs in your pudding. Add this back into the milk mixture and cook for one more minute.
Remove from heat and add in two tablespoons real butter and a teaspoon of vanilla. Stir this until the butter is completely melted.
Pour into your fancy garage sale glasses and cool.
This didn't even get to the refrigerator before The Kids got into it. What a wonderful dessert for a cold winter afternoon. My only regret is that I didn't have any whipped cream to add to the top. How does that even happen?

Click here for Printable Recipe

Butterscotch Pudding
1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 T Cornstarch
1 1/2 C Milk
Pinch of Salt
2 Egg Yolks
2 T Butter
1/2 t Vanilla
In a small saucepan, mix together brown sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk. Over low heat, bring mixture to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Temper yolks by quickly stirring in about 1/4 of the boiling mixture. Pour yolk mixture back into hot milk and return to heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Pour into bowls and let cool.

No comments: