Friday, February 11, 2011

Apple Cream Brunch Biscuits

These snow days are going to kill me.

Well, they are at least going to make me heavier. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I've gained about 20 pounds this month. I can't help it. When I am stuck inside and it's cold, all I want to do is cook.

I decided to clean out my inbox. I have a folder dedicated to recipes that I want to try and I hadn't really looked through them in awhile. I didn't get very far. The first one I looked at was from Pillsbury. Not only did it feature some incredible looking chocolate recipes for Valentine's Day, it had links to other recipes it thought I might enjoy. It was one of these links that led me toApple Ricotta Brunch Biscuits. This is not really what I made. I didn't have ricotta cheese. I really wanted to try these, but really did not want to get out in the snow. So I substituted cream cheese for the ricotta. I also did not have almonds (I have been making a LOT of granola), so I substituted walnuts.

Mix the cream cheese, sugar and egg until it is nice and creamy.

Have The Girl mix up the walnuts and cinnamon so she doesn't eat all the cream cheese mixture.

Press a refrigerated biscuit in the bottom and up the sides of a greased muffin tin. Cut an apple into 8 wedges and peel each section. The recipe said to put an entire wedge in the muffin tin, but it also told me to use a jumbo muffin tin. I cut my wedges in half since I was using a regular sized muffin tin.

Top each apple with a generous spoonful of the cream cheese mixture.

Sprinkle with walnuts and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Let them sit in the pan for a few minutes before using a butter knife to loosen them out.

Oh my.

I did not need to know these existed.

Everyone ate one right out of the oven (be careful, those apples get HOT!) and immediately wanted another. It says to store in the refrigerator, but mine didn't make it that far.

I would also say that while I do not have a comparison here, I don't think I would like these as a jumbo muffin as well. I think next time I will keep them the regular muffin size. I can also see substituting blueberries or peaches for the apple. Oh, or a Hershey's kiss would be divine.

Boy, I really need to go back to school.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Apple Cream Biscuits
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Cream Cheese
1 Egg
1/4 Cup sliced Walnuts
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Refrigerated Biscuits
1 small Apple, peeled, cut into 8 wedges (1/2 inch thick)
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 10 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. In small bowl, combine sugar, cream cheese and egg; beat at high speed for 1 minute.
In small bowl, combine walnuts and cinnamon; mix well. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press each biscuit evenly in bottom and up sides of spray-coated muffin cups. Place 1 wedge of apple in each cup. Spoon 2 rounded tablespoonfuls cheese mixture over each apple wedge; sprinkle with walnut mixture.
Bake at 375°F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until biscuits are deep golden brown and apples are crisp-tender. Remove biscuits from muffin cups; cool 15 minutes. Serve warm. Store in refrigerator.

No comments: