Friday, February 4, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Lickin


So the last week or so, I haven't even put my slow cooker away. This kind of weather makes me want to hibernate. Since my children will not allow me to do that, the closest I seem to be able to get is snuggling in a blanket with my caramel milk.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as walking in from the cold after a long day at school and breathing in the smells of supper already cooking.

I believe this recipe came through my Google group, so I'm not sure of it's exact origin. Whoever you are, thank you for coming up with this one!

In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients - tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, garlic, salt, paprika, ginger and chili powder - everything except the cream.
Mix them all up good.
In a large slow cooker, add 6-8 chicken legs. The recipe says to brown these before adding them in. You will notice that I didn't even get them defrosted, so I skipped that step. I also realize this practice is frowned upon and usually thaw my meat before slow cooking it. Actually, I put this in the microwave and thawed them before moving on. I will do better in the future.
Add your tomato mixture on top of the chicken legs. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. I cooked mine for 6 hours, but my slow cooker seems to run pretty hot.
Just before serving add in 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Stir it all up and serve over hot noodles.
The sauce didn't really thicken up like I would have liked it to, so we kind of made it into more of a soup than a pasta dish. Either way, it's delicious.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Crock Pot Chicken Lickin
8 chicken legs, thighs and/or breasts
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons paprika
Rinse the chicken parts and pat dry. Melt the butter in a skillet. Brown the chicken on all sides in the butter. Place the chicken in a crock pot.
Combine all the other ingredients except the cream together. Mix well. Pour over the chicken. Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
Stir in the heavy cream just before serving.
Serve over hot spaghetti.

No comments: