Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dragon Cookies

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

While we can't really claim to be Irish, we can certainly appreciate all things green today. The Girl, especially seemed pretty obsessed getting into the proper Irish spirit.

I received a similar recipe in email the other day I think from Betty Crocker, but apparently deleted it. The Kids loved the idea of green cookies, so I adapted my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe as best I could.

Of course since they are green, The Boy immediately thought them to be "Dragon Cookies" and that just sounded better than "Green Chocolate Chip Cookies." He didn't quite get the whole "Kiss me, I'm Irish" thing.

Cream together 1 cup of shortening, 1/2 cup of butter and 2 cups of brown sugar.
Beat in 2 eggs.
And a teaspoon each of vanilla and peppermint extract.
Add in 30 drops of green food coloring. Yes, 30 drops.
Gradually mix in 2 teaspoons baking soda and 3 cups of flour.
Stir in 2 cups Andes mint chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoon on to a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Careful when you open the oven door. Peppermint extract can really clear out the sinuses (and burn the eyes) after it has been baked.
These are yummy. As I was mixing them up, I started second guessing myself on the peppermint extract, thinking it would be too overwhelming. Turns out I didn't have to worry. However, I'm not convinced that you need the peppermint extract AND the Andes mint chips. I think you could get away with just vanilla and the chips or peppermint extract and regular chocolate chips. The way I made them, I'm not sure you can tell that they are Andes chips as opposed to regular chocolate chips. Next time I will probably pick an alternate version just to see.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Dragon Cookies
1 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Butter
2 Cups Packed Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
3 Cups Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Cups Andes Mint Baking Chips

Cream shortening, butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Beat in extracts. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chips. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool for two minutes and remove to cool on a wire rack.

No comments: