Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chicken Pepperoni

Years ago I watched a movie with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. I can't remember the name of it and to tell the truth, the only thing I really remember about it was the Chicken Pepperoni. The housekeeper had problems and couldn't make Chicken Pepperoni for the governor. No one else knew how to make it. I remember thinking it sounded soooo good. I came across a recipe in one of my Quick Cooking books that sounded like what I envisioned this mysterious Chicken Pepperoni to be.

Everyone really liked this chicken. I think it needs more pepperoni, so next time, I will add maybe 8 slices of pepperoni instead of just three.

I will also say that the pizza sauce you use will have a pretty dramatic effect. I think the brand I used this time really overpowered the chicken, so I will try a different kind next time.

And maybe served over noodles.

Take four (I know, I only have three) thawed chicken breasts.
Cover them with plastic wrap.
And use a meat cleaver (or your can of pizza sauce) to flatten the chicken out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Again, notice my "helper" in the background eating up all the cheese and pepperoni.
Remove the plastic wrap.
Add three (or four) slices of pepperoni onto the flat chicken.
Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of the pepperoni.
Start at the small end if you have one and tightly roll up the chicken breast. I have always struggled with any food item that required rolling, so you notice these aren't perfect. But I got them close enough I could stick a toothpick in to hold them together.
Add your favorite pizza sauce on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. With about 10 minutes left, add a half a slice of mozzarella cheese to each roll up.


Click here for Printable Recipe

Chicken Pepperoni
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
12 pepperoni slices
8 slices slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place three slices of pepperoni and one slice of cheese on each. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Spoon pizza sauce over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Uncover; top with the remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments: