Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Quest for the Perfect Hot Chocolate The End

Hopefully, the last cold snap of the year has just passed through. I was beginning to think I would have to abandon my quest until next winter, but as fate would have it, I stumbled across a new hot chocolate recipe while browsing through a Quick Cooking recipe book. Right next to Tuesday's Pepperoni Chicken was the recipe for Fluffy Hot Chocolate.

I was intrigued by the idea that the marshmallows are melted INTO the hot chocolate itself. Although DD adds about a pound of marshmallows to her half mug of cocoa, I never really have liked it that much.

I also liked that there was a pretty small ratio of chocolate and sugar to milk. Just what I was looking for. Also, the ratios work out so the cocoa and sugar could be mixed up ahead of time and scooped out with a regular spoon - no special measuring required.

So here it is, just what I was looking for.

Fluffy Hot Chocolate
8 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking cocoa
4 cups milk
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine the first four ingredients.



Cook and stir over medium heat until the marshmallows are melted, about 8 minutes.

At this point I would like to state the obvious and point out that I am NOT heating my hot chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. A few years ago, my brother gave me a Cocomotion for Christmas. DH made lots of fun of it, trying to convince me that it had no point (kind of like his coffee maker?), but now that I have discovered it, I can't imagine making hot chocolate without it. When our house burned, it was one of the first things I replaced. I love it that much.

Doesn't it look wonderful?

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Ladle into mugs.

I actually forgot to add in the vanilla. You could substitute almond extract if you wanted. Or even a shot of peppermint schnapps.


Fluffy Hot Chocolate
8 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking cocoa
4 cups milk
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until the marshmallows are melted, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Ladle into mugs.

No comments: