Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pumpkin Cookies

To make up for not getting supper, I ended up whipping up a batch of cookies. I know, what a good mother she is.

I love pumpkin. Fall is my favorite time of year, mainly because of this orange manna from heaven. Oddly enough, I have never ventured into the mysterious realm of cooking main dishes with pumpkin. Mostly reserving it for cakes, pies and cookies.

This recipe was given to me by Robyn, our FACS teacher when she brought them in one day last fall. I am going to miss her when she moves on to bigger and better things.

These cookies are moist and cakelike, not a crispy cookie, just the way I like them. The Girl loves them as well. Jeff is not much of a pumpkin eater, so he will eat them if it is the only option.

As an added twist today, I cut the oil in half and substituted 1/4 cup of applesauce. I have been experimenting with applesauce lately, and I have to say it REALLY complements the pumpkin in these cookies.

Enjoy.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Pumpkin Cookies
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
Add vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts.
Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.

1 comment:

TonyM said...

These sound delicious. I really don't think that we make enough use of pumpkins here in the UK. I must try these.