Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Crockpot Chicken and Sausage Stew

EDIT UPDATE: CLICK HERE!

First, let me apologize for the lack of a picture here. First and foremost, my camera has died. Completely. And I am pretty sure it will take me a good month to obsessively read every review about every camera that is available. I can't help it.

Second, this would not make a good picture.

I had high hopes for this supper. Chicken, sausage, what could go wrong. Truth be told, this wasn't horrible. For me. DH ate all of his after remarking (before tasting) that the bowl I had dished for him looked like too much. If you know my husband, there is no such thing. DD and DS each ate a green bean and disappeared from the table.

I had to substitute pork and beans for the baked beans (I can't read) so there was kind of a funny texture stuck to everything.

The chicken turned out pretty dry, so even though I cooked it for the minimum time, I think it was too long.

And finally, there was a lot of chicken and sausage, just very little in the way of stew. DD got forks out when she set the table.

All in all, not terrible. I liked it okay, but no one else seemed to, so it probably won't make it into my keep pile.

Oh well, there is always next week.


Crockpot Chicken and Sausage Stew
1/2 lb. kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin bite-sized strips
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 small onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
1 (16-oz.) can baked beans, undrained
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups Frozen Cut Green Beans, thawed

1. In 3 1/2 to 4-quart crockpot, combine all ingredients except green
beans; mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is no
longer pink in center.
3. Ten minutes before serving, stir in green beans. Increase heat to
high setting; cover
and cook an additional 10 minutes or until green beans are crisp-tender.

4 (1 1/2-cup) servings

No comments: