Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Clean Out the Fridge Grill


So we drove for about 11 hours yesterday to get back home from San Antonio. We are tired and I've been doing laundry all day. The last thing I wanted to do tonight was cook supper. I had had a short burst of ambition earlier and gotten chicken breasts out to thaw. Then laid down and watched Finding Nemo with my toddler.

So when Jeff asked me if I had any plans for the chicken sitting on the counter, I cringed. No, I really didn't. He must have noticed, because he offered to grill it. Did we have anything to go with it?

One of my favorite things to make in the summer time is a just a mix of frozen vegetables and hashbrowns wrapped in foil and cooked along side whatever it is we are grilling. This is a really adaptable recipe since you can throw in whatever it is you have on hand. It is also good for using up the little bits that you always seem to have leftover.

What? You don't have that problem? Weird.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Clean Out the Fridge Grill
2 Cups Frozen Hashbrowns
1 Cup Frozen Corn
1 Cup Frozen Green Beans
1/2 Stick Butter
Pepper
Salt
Lay out about 2 feet of aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Spread hashbrowns in a layer to within about 2 inches of the edge of the foil.


If you want to add in cheese, now is the time to do it, so it doesn't stick to the foil. I didn't have any on hand....so sad.

Layer in the corn


...wait...I had part of a red pepper in the fridge. Let's slice that up and add it in. Notice my sous chef there helping out.

Now let's add in a layer of corn. I had probably about a cup left.


and then green beans. I had about six of them. Seriously, why did I just not cook them the last time???

Add pepper and salt.

Cut butter into 1/2 inch pats and add on top.

Cover with a second sheet of aluminum foil and roll up the edges. Place on the grill, top if you are grilling on high, bottom is okay if you are grilling on low.


Or, as in the case with this kid, just eat the frozen veggies.

I grilled this on low for about 20 minutes. I actually put this on before the chicken and when the chicken was done, it was, too. Cooking time will depend on how much volume you have as well as whether it was cooked on high or low.

I love this for its simplicity as well as the fact that it gets rid of all the misc packages at the bottom of my freezer. Oh, and my family inhales it.

Enjoy

PS Did you notice the pictures?? Got a new camera ;)

No comments: