Sunday, January 2, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage Stew...Revisited

There are three recipes that are consistently visited here: the Wonder Pets cake, the Gronkle cake and Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage Stew. The cakes I understand and am rather proud of them. The other one? Ugh. That was one of the worst disasters ever to come out of my kitchen.

Now part of the problem was I had accidentally substituted Pork and Beans for the Baked Beans. Yes, Virginia, there is a difference. Whatever my excuse, I never had much of a desire to try it again.

But so many people were arriving here looking for that recipe, I finally decided to give it a second try.

I mean chicken and sausage stew? In a crock pot? How could you possible go wrong?

Cut up a pound of chicken breast and kielbasa sausage and put them in the bottom of your crock pot.
Add a half a bag of baby carrots. You can slice them up if you want, but I didn't want.
Half of a sliced onion goes on top of that.
Some ketchup, mustard and brown sugar, along with a bit of white vinegar.
Topped with a can on Baked Beans. I almost said Pork and Beans. That would have been tragic.
With about 15 minutes left until dinner, add in 2 cups of THAWED green beans. If you haven't gotten them out to thaw, pop them in the microwave for a few minutes.
Stir it up and serve.
This was better. Much, much better. The chicken was still a little chewy. I'm not sure if it was cooked too long of if something was working against it. I would almost leave out the baked beans all together next time as neither child was thrilled about them.

It has been saved. This will probably not be the first recipe I pull out when I am wanting soup, but definitely be an option.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Crockpot Chicken and Sausage Stew
1/2 lb. kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin bite-sized strips
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 small onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
1 (16-oz.) can baked beans, undrained
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups Frozen Cut Green Beans, thawed

1. In 3 1/2 to 4-quart crockpot, combine all ingredients except green
beans; mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is no
longer pink in center.
3. Ten minutes before serving, stir in green beans. Increase heat to
high setting; cover
and cook an additional 10 minutes or until green beans are crisp-tender.

4 (1 1/2-cup) servings (9 Weight Watchers points)

No comments: