Monday, January 31, 2011

Quick & Easy Mulligatawny


I know what you are thinking, "Quick and Easy What?" I thought the same thing with Ree posted this awhile back. I have had Indian food once in my life. I really liked it, it just isn't something I really have access to on a regular basis. And truth be told, even if I did, I'm not sure I could convince many members of my immediate family to join me if we did.

This seemed like a simple way to sneak this in on my family and get them to try it. Even with the longer than normal ingredient list, it goes together quickly and the only ingredient I didn't have on hand was the curry powder.


Cook up a diced chicken breast in a couple tablespoons of melted butter until the chicken is just cooked through.
Take the chicken out and set it aside. Add in the onion and garlic and saute in the drippings.
When the onions just start to brown, stir in the flour and curry powder. Cook for one minute.
And add in the chicken broth. Cook for about 5 minutes until it gets good and hot.
Stir in the half and half, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook another 5 minutes, again until it gets back to hot.
Meanwhile dice up a nice tart apple. I forgot to take the skin off. It wasn't distracting, so I guess you can peel or not, which ever you choose.

Add the apple and chicken into the pot and cook for another 5 or 10 minutes.
Let all those flavors meld for a few minutes before serving.

I loved this. The Boy was a little leery of the unpeeled apples, so I will definitely rectify that next time, but once he tried it, he ate two bowls. The Girl said she had to think about it, but ultimately decided it was good. Jeff ended up leaving for work before dinner was ready, so he didn't get to try it. This is probably one of those things that he would eat, but not ever request.

I'm thinking that this is opening up a whole new cooking realm for me. I am really into the spices right now and that seems to be what Indian cooking is all about. I have to be careful, though. For my kids, there is a very fine line between just spicy enough and waaaayyyy too spicy.

I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, try this. It really is a good place to start.

I will also admit that I have yet to figure out how to pronounce this without having to stop and sound it out :P

Click here for Printable Recipe

Quick & Easy Mulligatawny
1 whole Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Cut Into Bite-Sized Pieces
Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Medium Onion
3 cloves Garlic, Minced Finely
¼ cups All-purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
32 ounces, fluid Chicken Broth
2 cups Half-and-half
1 whole Granny Smith Apple, Peeled And Diced
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt, More To Taste

Season diced chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove chicken to a plate. Set aside. In the same pot, add butter and reduce heat to medium. Add diced onion and garlic and stir to cook. Onions should be starting to brown. Sprinkle flour over onions. Stir to combine, then stir in curry powder. Cook mixture over medium heat for one minute, stirring constantly. Pour in chicken broth. Stir to combine, then cook for five minutes. Add half and half, salt, pepper, and sugar, then cook for another five minutes. Add chicken and diced apple and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off and allow to stand 5 or 10 minutes before serving. Taste for seasonings before serving.

No comments: