Sunday, January 2, 2011

Butterscotch Sauce

I don't know about you, but I am fairly certain I gained some weight during our two Snow Days last week. I don't know what it is, but I always want to cook, cook, cook on those days. So that's what I did. I went on the hot drinks kick, and this is kind of an extension of that.

I made the caramel sauce. It was so easy that I also made butterscotch sauce (you will see why in a few) to go along with it.

The process is essentially the same, just with a slight change in ingredients.

Melt butter in a saucepan and add in brown sugar. This is essentially the only different step :)
Mix this all well and heat on medium heat.
Until it starts to boil. Heat this for about 5 minutes.
Add in your cream.
Notice how the cream does not really go down into the sauce mixture.
At all.
Start whisking. Heat and whisk until you can't whisk any more. It takes awhile.
I never did get all the sugar to mix smoothly in with the cream.
But I'm okay with that.

While I prefer caramel, this is really good. When I ran out of the caramel, I started using it in Caramel Steamed Milk with great success.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Butterscotch Sauce
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup of tightly packed dark brown sugar
¾ cup heavy whipping cream (not ultra-pasteurized)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Before you begin, make sure you have everything ready to go.
In a heavy bottomed stainless steel 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over low to medium heat. Just before butter is melted, add all dark brown sugar at once and stir with wooden spoon until sugar is uniformly wet.
Stir infrequently until mixture goes from looking grainy to molten lava. Make sure to get into the corners of your pot, and watch closely to notice how the mixture changes. It will take about 3 to 5 minutes before it starts to look like a liquid.
Add all the cream at once and lower heat a little and whisk cream into mixture. When liquid is uniform, turn heat back to medium and whisk every few minutes for a total of 10 minutes.
After liquid has been boiling on the stove for its 10 minutes, turn heat off and let rest for a minute or two before transferring into a heatproof storage vessel. Cool to room temperature.
Whisk in half the salt and vanilla extract. Taste again. Add more salt and vanilla extract until the marvelous taste of real butterscotch is achieved.
Butterscotch makes a fantastic topping for ice cream.
Chill butterscotch sauce in a non-reactive container with a tightly fitting lid only after sauce has chilled completely. It will keep for one month refrigerated, that is if you can keep from eating it all the moment it has cooled down and been seasoned to your liking.

No comments: