Monday, July 25, 2011

Drunken Mushrooms

The biggest thing that happens in my hometown is the Rodeo. Three nights of great fun and catching up with friends I only seem to see at this event. Well, or Wal-Mart, but that doesn't really count.

On Saturday afternoon is the parade. It starts in Cottonwood Falls, circles by the nursing home, down by the courthouse and down the highway, before finally ending at the rodeo grounds in Strong City. All in all, it's somewhere around 5 miles of horses, floats, ATVs and antique tractors.

My family has mostly moved on from riding horses in the parade to riding on contraptions rolling on 2 to 4 wheels. For several years now, those of us who don't ride in the parade have ended up over in the park where it all starts waiting for the riders to return. This usually took on the form of everyone sitting around in the hot sun getting really hungry. It took us awhile, but this year, we finally decided to do a picnic kind of thing in the shade. Jeff brought the smoker and everyone else brought other stuff.

I brought Ree's mushrooms. She actually makes hers on the stove. I haven't tried that, because I made mine in the crockpot the first time and never looked back.

For every pound of mushrooms, mix together 1/2 cup butter, a chicken bouillon cube, a beef bullion cube, a minced clove of garlic, a dash of ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce and 1/4 teaspoon dill seed. Heat until the butter is melted.
Add a cup of hot water. Bring this to a boil over medium heat.
Pour in 2 cups of alcohol. This is Burgundy wine. I have also used a stout beer and whiskey to great effect.
Let that simmer a bit while you wash the mushrooms. Just add these to your slow cooker. My large pot holds four pounds comfortably.
Pour the boiling mixture over the mushrooms. Cook on low for 6-9 hours. I have also cooked these on high for a couple hours less, but slow is better.
I cannot describe these to you. There are no words. You can eat these on steak. On baked potatoes. On bread. On the side. You can eat these right out of the steaming hot pan if you want. 

Like I said, you can use pretty much anything as flavoring. Every version I have tried have been devoured. If I were to pick, though, I would probably choose the wine. It gives them a little sweeter flavor that I really liked. The beer was more of a salty flavor that was really good as well. Hmmm...maybe I don't have a favorite. 

Try these. I hearby declare tomorrow steak and mushroom night. You will not be sorry.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Drunken Mushrooms
4 pounds White Button Mushrooms
2 sticks Butter
1-1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 liter Alcohol of Your Choice (I have had great success with Burgundy Wine, Dark Beer and Whiskey)
1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 cups Boiling Water
4 whole Chicken Bouillon Cubes
4 whole Beef Bouillon Cubes
1 teaspoon Dill Seed
5 cloves Garlic, Peeled
Thoroughly wash the mushrooms and add to a large crockpot. 
Add all the remaining ingredients to a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over mushrooms. Stir to combine. Simmer on low, covered, for six to nine hours. Add salt to taste at the end if desired. The mushrooms will be very dark in color. Simmer until needed. 

No comments: