Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Baked Teriyaki Chicken

This week's Try-It Tuesday presented us with Baked Teriyaki Chicken that I found on www.allrecipes.com. I really like this site because it has new featured recipes every day, so I just click on the bookmark and scan around to see if there is anything I might like.

I halved this recipe (which I do with nearly every one I try) since my kids don't ever seem to eat more than a quarter cup of supper. Until dessert, of course, but that is covered in the next post :) This recipe is also VERY MESSY! All told today, I think DH did the dishes three times, bless him. Everyone seemed to like this version of teriyaki, even though I personally found it to be a little too sweet for my taste. I will definitely keep this one, but probably will not add in the full half cup of sugar next time. We had fried rice as a side along with stir fried veggies.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Baked Teriyaki Chicken
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 skinless chicken thighs

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, cold water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and ground black pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place chicken pieces in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Brush chicken with the sauce. Turn pieces over, and brush again. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn pieces over, and bake for another 30 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Brush with sauce every 10 minutes during cooking.
P.S. I detest cookbooks that do not have pictures, so I have included some pics here. Not good ones mind you, and also not ones that could be taken with Jeff present....I am sure he would make fun.

No comments: