Friday, February 20, 2009

My Quest for the Perfect Hot Chocolate Part IV

I gotta say, gettin a bit discouraged here. But in a good way. I am still looking for my perfect hot chocolate. Digging around in my drawer, I have found one that seems promising.

This recipe actually uses chocolate chips - can't get much more chocolaty than that, can you? Even if it does use powdered milk.

The instructions for making the actual drink seem kind of complicated to me. 3 heaping tablespoons for each 3/4 cup water. Not something that is easily remembered from winter to winter....

So, let's see, shall we?

Instant Hot Chocolate Mix
3 C Instant nonfat dry milk powder
2 1/2 C Semisweet chocolate morsels or mint chocolate chips or butterscotch chips or milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 C Mini Marshmallows

1. Place half the milk and chips in a food processor and whirl until finely ground.
2. Repeat.
3. Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
4. To make 1 cup, place 3 heaping tablespoons of mix into a mug, add 3/4 cup boiling water and stir.



Wow. And by that I mean son of a gun that is some chocolaty hot chocolate. It is like I just melted down the chocolate chips and drank that. I distinctly remember adding in the powdered milk, but it all must have leaked out. Maybe it evaporated.

I used semisweet chips for this. I would have liked to have used milk chocolate (I am NOT one of those people who claim to love dark chocolate), but I didn't have any on hand. I think that might have taken some of the edge off. The idea of mint chips intrigues me, I love mint (see my original post).

All in all, not too bad, but not what I was looking for. It's a bit too labor intensive for me, and really lacks the creaminess I am searching for.

No comments: