Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Country Apple Dumplings

We had a lot of dumplings on this chilly winter evening. Didn't really plan it that way, but it worked out well. I found this in my desk drawer at school, apparently just waiting for me to find it and take it home.

As I was waiting for these to bake, I posted on my FB status that I was making apple dumplings. Not only did I get a huge number of responses about this, so did my husband. Apparently not many railroaders have apple dumplings for dessert on a weeknight.

I didn't have Mountain Dew, so I used 7Up instead. This version is also my halved recipe, and it is a darn good thing I cut it down, because I would have eaten the entire batch. These are heavenly. I don't know that I have ever had apple dumplings in my lifetime, so I'm not sure what possessed me to try them now. But boy am I glad I did.

Click here for Printable Recipe

Country Apple Dumplings
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cored
1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated crescent roll dough
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
2. Cut apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Cook until thickened and add vanilla. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

No comments: