Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

Mmmmmm......It cooled off quite a bit today. Actually, it got colder as the day went on. So this was the perfect supper to come home to.

The original recipe came from www.allrecipes.com. I tweaked it a little bit by adding in the frozen vegetables. I also added in about a cup of chicken broth that I had left over in the fridge. I am really glad I did, because even with that, this was still a pretty thick soup. I had leftovers for lunch the next day and our English teacher was making fun of my "chowder." I almost needed a knife to cut through the soup :) Next time, I will definitely add more broth. Now that I think about it, that was probably the result of the extra vegetables.

Click here for Printable Recipe.

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion, finely diced
10 oz package frozen vegetables
1 (10 ounce) package refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
DIRECTIONS
1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low. About 1 hour before serving, add frozen vegetables. These can be added at the beginning, but are more firm if added here. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

No comments: